Monday, September 3, 2012

Chinese Medicine Man


            So, Gavin and I got our health checks this morning. I found out this was happening at about 11:30 last night just as I was finally nodding off.
            Gavin and I are to meet yet another assistant (we’ve met two and I have phone numbers for one other) at 8:30 out of the company’s office building, which I have yet to see at this point. Luckily, Gavin had been the day prior and leads us there. It’s only a ten minute walk from our apartment and we’re early. We camp on the steps and are finally approached by  Shirley, the woman who’s designated to help us through this whole ordeal. I assume we’re ready to go. Then she tells me: “we’re waiting for Auntie.”
            Oh joy.
            She shows up after another ten minutes and we all clamber into her car, which seems rather decent. It inspires me to wonder what the hell this woman actually does for a living. Anyway, she whisks us across a bridge away from the heart of the city to a creepy little government building with an overly bureaucratic name. I didn’t think to write it down but it was something like “The Chinese-Guilin International Office of Entering and Exiting Citizens Public Security.” Seriously, there were a lot of words in the name of this building.
            We were led to the side so our pictures could be taken in a little studio. Glad I wore an undershirt and skipped the shower. That mixed with another restless night of sleep will make sure my documents capture the real Eric: the confused, sleepy, unkempt thing wandering the streets of this bat-shit crazy Country.
            Luckily, this is a short diversion and we’re shuttled off to an equally bureaucratic travel clinic. We park around back and sneak in through another side door, sliding an overturned table out of our way to make our entrance. Real official… If I didn’t have diseases already now is a good as time as any to start.
            We’re given some forms and fill out all we can (still need an address people) and are led from one cubical to another. This examination seems a lot more involved than the one I’d have to leave the States. The first step was a four point electromyocardiogram (my best guess). It was that, an ultrasound (it’s a boy), chest x-ray, blood sample, urine sample, eye test, the works. The most unnerving parts were Auntie stalking around and recounting her previous endeavors with us hopeless Westerners. That, and peering into ever examining window she could seem to find. All I could think was “please. Please don’t do that while I’m in there.”
            The whole process only took about an hour, which was merciful, and then we were off for home.
            Well, only before we swung through some apartment complex to deliver a printer and cell phone to some woman. Is that how Auntie keeps afloat? Electronics smuggler? Repair woman? I have no idea.
All I know is that in one week I should know just how many diseases I picked up because of that health check. 

No comments:

Post a Comment