Sunday, September 2, 2012

Reflections - Week 1

This is harder than I think I’d initially expected. I was led to believe there’d be a lot more English speakers. On one hand, I’m glad there aren’t. It’ll force me to learn Chinese which was one of my reasons for coming. But when EVERYTHING is so foreign, it’s difficult when you can’t even express simple requests.

            The heat also isn’t helping. It feels like all I’ve done is sweat in this country. I’m regretting only packing one pair of shorts. I never wear them back home but this heat and humidity is just relentless. And only being able to drink bottled or boiled water is tough when I don’t have a kettle or fridge. I’m just happy bottled water is really cheap.

            I just need to get situated, I hope. Once I’m in Beijing, know my job, and have a place to live I can start figuring out my ass from my elbow. I didn’t pack to live out of a suitcase and get shuffled around the country.

            China is a bit vulgar by Western standards. There are lots of people spitting and sneezing openly in the street. I saw a grown man peeing into a bush on a crowded street at like, three in the afternoon. No one says “excuse me.” Cars and bikes just seem to come from every direction and don’t look for pedestrians or other cars. It’s just a constant battle for survival.

            When I went to Sweden I fell in love instantly. The architecture was brilliant. The people were calm and very polite. The whole atmosphere was very quaint, proud, and becoming. China is going to have to grow on me.

            I think it will. I don’t want to sound like this is whining or that I’m afraid I made a mistake. I’m not thinking that. It’s just been one of the craziest weeks of my life. I have no clue what’s going on most of the time and that’s more difficult for me than I realized. I have a lot to learn and I’m looking at China as something of a challenge to overcome.

Challenge accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment